Re: Keeping up with the theory (was is Corum and Corumforbidden topic?)

Original poster: "Ray von Postel by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vonpostel-at-prodigy-dot-net>

Terry:
I agree that the equations and programs being used give practical values,
but as far as I know they are derived by curve fitting or some other
method of approximation.

Because they are based on experimental data, they can only be considered
reliable over the range of data upon which they are based.

My suggested project would be to come up with a mathematically
derived equation or set of equations which can be proven general
in application for a SOLENOID.

Empirically derived equations/formula are sometimes a first step.
Fortunately, those for distributed capacitance of a solenoid are
close enough to be useful engineering tools.  As you say, they
are within a few percent.  I suggest that "a few percent" may
be satisfactory engineering, but it is not necessarily good science.
At this point, we don't know if the lack of precision and accuracy
of both our calculations and experimental data is hiding something
totally unknown and unsuspected.

Please don't take this as a put down.  The computer programs and
other works are, to the best of my knowledge, state of the art.  My
objective
was to point out that we do not know with certainty a fundamental
fact relating to a major component, the solenoid.  I also recognize that
many of list members have no interest in calculations.  Their enjoyment
is based on a different perspective than mine.  Perhaps I aim to fall
within the definition of expert:

"An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less
until he knows everything about nothing."

Best

Ray

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Ray,

big snip