RE: Geek Group Cap mod

Comments interspersed.........

>Original poster: "Dave Larkin by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><teslaman15-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>

> >Hi Bert,all,
> >I don’t expect to get 80KV, heck I only have two 9KV NST's. I was just
> >going by what the site said and using their building technique. They
> >claim this design will be perfect for a 15/60 and they rate this cap at
> >80kv/.0125 mfd.
> >Would someone take a look and see if I misunderstood the internal
> >wiring?
>
>No misunderstanding on your part... The geek group are not renowned for
>their technical competance,

I'm sure the 200+ members, several of whom are on this list, will love that
one. I'll let them reply to that one on their own time. As for me, I never
professed to be perfect, but I, and my crew do things to the best of our
continually improving abilities.

As a Group we have given *Signifigant* help to the coiling community. We
have sold several thousands of MMC caps, and out of ALL of them, there have
been less than half a dozen that failed (and it was operator error) and we
replaced them, free.

We have hosted hundreds of classroom demonstrations, and our last Teslathon
drew enough people to have *EVERY* store in the mall it was hosted in,
report record sales for that weekend. We've build dozens of finished
projects,have several more on the books, and are now the largest Federally
licensed non-profit science and technology educational group of our type on
Earth.

What have you done?

Sure, we make mistakes, some of them rather expensive at that. But it's what
we're here for. We take chances, make mistakes, and learn. If, in time we
find that somethign we learned and published was incorrect, we fix it,
promptly. I make mistakes every day, so what, I'm still learning how to run
this company, and it didn't come with a manual. I think I'm doing a rather
decent job, and with the combined efforts of the Board, Staff, and Members
in 13 countries and 29 states, I think we'll do just fine.

>I suspect the 80kV rating was based on either
>severely flawed reasoning.

Actually, years ago when we built them we asked what the breakdown voltage
was and were told "Don't worry about it it's something like 80kV" so that's
what we wrote on the caps. When it came time to do the site, I went and read
the caps, and it went on the site. I've never given it much concern.

>A more sensible DC rating for a longneck beer
>bottle (miller, corona, becks etc.) would be 40kV or so, depending on the
>condition of the glass and the creepage path down the neck.

Prove it, then I'll change the site, the caps, and the manual.

>Dave

The above opinions are mine alone, not the Group's as a whole (though you'll
find quite a few who agree with me). If you have a problem and would like to
flame me personally, feel free to do so at cboden-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org, I love a
good fight.

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group