Re: Keeping up with the theory (was is Corum and Corumforbidden topic?)

Original poster: "Ray von Postel by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vonpostel-at-prodigy-dot-net>

Ed:
Thanks for the information on the availability of programs.....even expensive
ones.  My
comments were based on the method of computation using empirical equations
rather
than those that are general in nature.  Why use approximations if there are
better methods?

Rob:
Are you saying that the equations currently being used for distributed
capacitance yield
accurate and precise results and are based on Maxwell's equations?  If that is
the case,
then why bother with Wheeler et al?

No one, so far, has convinced me that a project to come up with a general
equation
for the calculation of parasitic capacitance of a solenoid would not be worth
while.  The
limitation on precision and accuracy should be the ability to readily measure
dimensions
and not on the math.  Any such equation, set of equations, or procedure should
be usable
by any one on the list who has a computer.  Why any one building a coil would
want to do so is beyond me.  It seems to be a mountain that is there and  has
not been climbed.

This seems to be getting a bit far from coiling,  I would be glad to continue
this
discussion off list.

Best
Ray

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz
> <mailto:twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<mailto:evp-at-pacbell-dot-net><evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>