Re: Plastics

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Calvin

Check local plastic distributors or supply houses, Carbell
is a local/regional supplier I've used.  If used for caps, be
sure to specify "virgin grade" (i.e. no recycle content), pull
from middle of stack (no surface scratches).

If used for making flat plate capacitors, I recommend
HDPE  - high density polyethylene, it is stiffer will hold
dimensional tolerance better; LDPE - low density polyethylene
is more flexible and will be better for rolled capacitors or
primary to secondary supplemental HV insulation.
The best material for HV insulation is XLPE - cross link
polyethylene.  This material is used for outer HV insulation
on high power coaxial and underground HV feeders;
but IDK about availability is sheet stock or cost, but could
be signifcantly more expensive then normal stock linear
polymers.

For flat plate caps I built previously, had supplier cut from
a 4' x 8' sheet.  With computer controlled cut off saws,
waste is minimized so cost to you is reduced, and plates
are within 1/32" of uniform dimensions. 2 - 4' x 8' x 0.060"
panels cut to size (8"x10" if memory is right) was about
$140, and any reasonable size scrap left over was yours.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Calvin Patrick by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <linhacktux-at-wycol-dot-com>