Re: Keeping up with the theory (was is Corum and Corumforbidden topic?)

Hi Ray,

On 7 May 2002, at 8:21, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ray von Postel by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vonpostel-at-prodigy-dot-net>

> Malcom;
> As you say, there are two issues.  However, when you go beyond, what you
> describe
> as "back of the envelope" engineering and start using a computer, don't
> you think
> it time to take as much advantage of it's number crunching power as
> possible?  Why
> use approximations when you can do better?
>
> Example:  Why use Wheeler when Nagoka's formulas are more accurate?
>  There is
> no need to use tables when you can calculate Nagoka's constant.  Just
> calculate the
> needed constant each time you use the program and to any degree of accuracy
> within the limits of the computer.

For the purposes I outlined, Wheeler and Medhurst work just fine
every time. No need for computers - or even a calculator. I have the
conversion factors for Medhurst memorized for the range of h/d ratios
I use. The formulae are so simple that it isn't a major chore to do
the calcs mentally. This is not cutting edge research - it is a
simple way of building a working coil.

> You also mentioned the problems associated with top loading.  Perhaps
> that should
> be the first project.  I didn't intend to set priorities.

I can use fairly good guestimates based on experience and these get
initial tuning close enough for power to be applied safely. Again,
this is just for a quick coil lashup, not research. My research
methods are considerably more scientific than that.

Regards,
Malcolm