Re: magnetically quenched gaps

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

--8x-----snip---
> Electronics.  The old magnetron magnets were indeed almost 100 mm
> diameter, but the newer ones are much smaller.
--8x-----snip---

Does the physical size of the magnet actual come into this?

My mental picture had a string of MO magnets and two pieces

of bent iron (poles).  This way, you could use as many

magnets as necessary - the iron or other suitably low
reluctance material bringing the flux back to the desired
point, no matter how long (or tall) the stack.

IIIIIIII  *  IIIIIIII
II                 II
II                 II
IIMMMMMMMMMMMMM...MII
IIAAAAAAAAAAAAA...AII
IIGGGGGGGGGGGGG...GII
II123456789ABCD...nII

An alternative would be an iron base with a stack either side with pole
pieces coming from the tops.

IIIIIIII  *  IIIIIIII
MAG1             MAG4
MAG2             MAG5
MaG3             MAG6

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

* is the spark gap.  Image viewed looking down the length of one of the
electrodes.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith           |   _     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
IT Consultant           |  ( )  - No HTML/RTF in e-mail