Re: First coil- need help

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

I have rechecked- the primary OD is 9" and the ID is 3"
The height of the secondary is 8.125" (almost as big as the primary
diameter) so I
presume they are comparable.

Ammeter says 3 A on the primary of the ignition coil -I am using a Radio
Shack
13.8VDC 3A regulated supply so max power would be 41.4 Watts.

I am using a 7 tube zigzag gap with 1mm between the copper tubes -which are
15mm
in diameter, so if breakdown voltage is 3.3MV/ metre between rounded
electrodes the
max voltage (perhaps) is 19.8kV.

The ignition coil-based HV supply has been improved with the addition of a
diode
string (60 x 1N4007 so total PIV = 60kV) to prevent the capacitor
discharging back
into the HV winding - this has resulted in more reliable firing of the gap
especially
with larger capacitors; sadly these do not seem to give good performance -is
because they lower the primary resonant frequency so far it becomes
impossible to get a good "match" with the secondary?

Why is spark length to grounded object less than spark length to ungrounded?
Is this anything to do with the secondary being more in tune with the
toroid-to-ungrounded-to-ground capacitance than it is with the ordinary
toroid-to-ground capacitance perhaps?

Jolyon