Re: hi im bill and a nfg. just know learning

Hi Bill,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Bill by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<liam-at-neteze-dot-com>

> I'm trying too build a power supply that delivers 30 to 100 kv at 500 MA.
> And 70 hertz. AC.   I recently acquired an ac transformer at a junk  yard
> the sucker weighs about a hundred pounds and is ac  I was wondering if I I
> hook a 120 v..ac outlet plug to a standard  600 amp dimmer switch , to the
> transformer  how can I measure the kv without a high voltage tester  ??
> does anyone know any tricks   ???   thanks  bill

You could simply reverse wire it and measure with a standard AC volt meter
(apply AC to
the high voltage side and measure the low voltage side with no load). This
is in step
down configuration (be careful of course). Input voltage / reading =
voltage ratio. Then
in normal hookup, whatever your input is, simply multiply by the ratio.
This will be
roughly your open circuit voltage.

Bart