RE: oil dielectric

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

>I do not know a lot about Tesla coils, but suspected that the oil would
help prevent shorting out the primary. I understand that spacers are
available that would allow a layer of oil between layers of coil.

>From my experience, shorts between the primary and secondary are tuning
problems, not dielectric problems.  If the coil is constructed
appropriately, there will be no shorts between primary and secondary even in
close mutual inductance situations with air between them.

Dave