Re: Pulse Transformer

Paul: A basic transformer using a sign wave produces an outpot voltage
proportional to the turns ratio. What makes the TC differ is the fact that a
sign wave is not what is used. The power pulse comes from the sudden
discharge of a capacitor pulsing the primary with max voltage and hundreds
of amps. This pulse has a basic frequency and multiple odd harmonics
starting at the ppf frequency (120pps up to 200,000 Hz). The TC transformer
is designed to pass this wide range of frequencies. The VTTC tends to be of
one sign wave frequency so its output is by nature limited to the turns
ratio of the coil. Some build the VTTC to act outside this limit, but most
do not. I use both the tube TC and the pulse TC for different uses. The tube
gives me steady controled output voltage I can use to make tests. The pulse
TC gives me much less control, but much higher max voltage in the 2 Meg volt
range. This is a trade off for uses. If I push my tube system into class "C"
I can get higher voltage by not opperating in the sign wave area, but If my
starting frequency is 200Khz then my harmonics are higher into the range of
causing interfearance. Another trade off. I hope this helps.
   Robert  H