Re: commercial capacitors

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

14/05/2002 20:00:24, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of
Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034
-at-student.uq.edu.au>

>Hello list,
>
>Firstly, does anyone know if maxwell still
make HV caps? I can't find
>any info on their page. I'm possibly
interested in buying a commercial
>cap or two. My new coil would need a huge MMC
(over 100 GG caps, then
>there's the soldering and stuff. This is a
last resort.)

100 caps is'nt that many, mine is 250 (not GG)
for .1u -at- 20kv, the MMC has the huge advantage
of being 'field replacable' ie - one cap dies,
it is replaced, costs a few dollars, in a
commercial cap: cap dies, it is replaced,
costs a few hundred dollars. Also bearing in
mind that most commercaial caps are not self
healing.

 I'm also
>wondering how much stray inductance an MMC
this large would have.

Not enough to matter and probably not more
than a commercial capacitor. 100 geek group
caps is about $300, a comercial cap is at
least $600 as i remember

>would like to compare the cost of an MMC to a
new commercial unit.

say

>would like to get a quote from plastic
capacitors, but I really don't
>know exactly what specs to ask for (the
question sheet is very daunting
>- RMS current, peak current, voltage
reversals, frequency, blah blah
>blah).

RMS current - around 10A
peak current - a lot, maybee 1000's of amps
voltage reversals ? - oh yeah!
frequency - around 200Khz
voltage - lots, at _least_ 2.5x the ac voltage
of your trannie.

 I have heard that condenser products still
make Tesla capacitors,
>but they do not sell to the general public.
Does anyone know a way
>around this?

i think that they do sell to the general
public so long as you don't say the magic word
'tesla'

 I would like a 0.15uF cap. Voltage is
currently 11.5kV RMS,
>but I would like a significant safety margin,
and will later hopefully
>be using nearly 20kV RMS.
>
>On a lighter note, the 10kW coil is
progressing very well. The primary
>and secondary are completed. The primary is
15 turns 1/2" Cu pipe.
>Secondary is 1000 turns, 0.95mm wire close
wound on 12" form. Sync
>rotary gap is to be finished today. Power
cabinet is finished, with a
>continuous rating of 60 amps. I've started
collecting HD magnets to
>investigate magnetic gaps.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Greg Peters
>Department of Earth Sciences,
>University of Queensland, Australia
>Phone: 0402 841 677
>http://www.geocities-dot-com/gregjpeters

Regards

alex
Alexander JJ Rice
Geek#-1232
Rank : G-2 (Wahey!)
http://www.TheGeekGroup-dot-org
"Because the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth !"?