Re: oil dielectric

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rblaisdell-at-juno-dot-com>

On Wed, 15 May 2002 18:28:10 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <davep-at-quik-dot-com>
>
> >>         Suppose the coil is running.
> >>         Suppose the coil arcs over, in an unexpected way.
> >>         Suppose the arc hits the oil.
> >>         Suppose (since its an insulator) the oil gets a
> breakdown
> >>         UNDER it.  Now the arc is in the oil.
>
> > We're talking about enclosed containers with no air.
>
> > There is no way the arc will contact the oil.
>

>         What about fault conditions?
>
>         best
>         dwp

what if a butterfly in japan flaps its wings and a bolt of lightning from
a thunderstorm
strikes  my metal shop building sending unknown amounts of energy into my
wiring and causes an arc to jump from the end of my extension cord to the
body of my nst to the connector bolt on my capacitor thus causing an arc
in the oil.