Re: Pulse Transformer

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz

><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> Hi Dave,
	Hi Malcolm...

> On 16 May 2002, at 16:32, Tesla list wrote:

>>Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"

> <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>>>Just reading all the things said in this series of posts makes me
>>>wonder whether anyone, apart from myself, has trouble agreeing with a
>>>lot of the concepts expressed here? ?

>>>For example, since when has a TC been a wideband transformer?

>>	Since the usual TC has no core.
>>	Frequency response is limited, in large measure, by the
>>	core and associated inductance.  removal of the core
>>	makes a TC broadband.  Also, details of winding.
>>	The usual TC is not PLANNED to be broadband, and has
>>	a particular frequency or frequencies where performance
>>	will be optimal.  However, if compared, in an engineering
>>	sense, to a broadband transformer (RF or pulse), the
>>	similarliries are obvious.

>>	Meta:
>>	There was a recent concern for 'basic research' on TC.
>>	I suggest that much relavant research exists, in related
>>	fields, and could be usefully, if not casually, applied
>>	to TC work.

>>>Since a when did a disruptive TC not ring up with some sinusoidal
>>>waveform while its primary rang down?

>>	Indeed.
>>	So will a pulse transfromer or broadband transformer.

> I would hope that a high Q resonant circuit has a considerably
> narrower frequency response than a transformer designed to faithfully
> pass pulses and squarewaves.

	'faithfully' is sort of....  8)>>

	Here, perhaps, is the nub of the discussion.
	I was referring to a Tesla COIL, a Tesla Transformer.
	Two (or more) Windings.  Period.

	IF one adds a a cap, making a resonant _system_, matters
	are different.  Commonly , the phrase 'Tesla Coil' is
	used to refer to 'two coils plus a cap'.  I was using
	it (perhaps unwisely) to refer to the _coil(s)_ as such.
	The _coils_ are relatively wide band.  I can see no
	difference between the coils of a Tesla system and
	a pulse transformer.

	(The discussion gets REALLY interesting in the case
	of the Tesla Secondary, which lacks an explicit cap.
	I suspect this is analogous to the occasional
	discussion of secondary pre breakout (resonant)
	and post breakout (less resonant/different (higher)
	resonance.)

	best
	dwp