Re: Variable Capacitance and Inductance

That's too long to quote, but it's kinda strange.  The only thing I
could really understand and relate to was the variation with height of
capacitance (or a wire or a sphere or something similar).  The
capacitance to ground DECREASES as the separation is increased.  As for
temporal variation, if there were variations of the magnitude he could
have measured with the instruments available to him the tuning of a
typical short wave receiver would vary all over the place.  In fact, a
stability of one part in a hundred thousand is pretty easy to achieve
with careful design and construction.  I wonder if this is a case of his
words conveying something other than the interpretation we now give
them?  Think that "longitudinal waves" are probably explained that way,
although true believers will surely disagree loudly.

	His statement"In buildings, however, or
near large structures, this increase often amounted to 50 per cent per
foot of
elevation, and this alone will show to what extent many of the
scientific
experiments recorded in technical liter­ature are erroneous." simply
doesn't fit what we actually see and measure.

Ed