slide choke

Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hello gentlemen!
Terry, Gary and friends, thanks for the replies on the TSG.
But now I’m little confused- should I make a TSG at 120 BPS. (some folks
like the TGS some are not so sure) Or go for the 240 SRSG when supplying my
coil with a 4 pack MOT PSU? Which will give bigger sparks? I’m thinking the
240 BPS SRSG with staggered electrodes will allow the best use of the power
available.

As for the power in going to have to make a Ballast for my MOT’s. I don’t
know if I’ll be able to afford a 30-40 AMP Variac so instead I’m going to
make my Ballast variable.
I’m going to make a Slide Choke. I figure I can make one with a core that
can be screwed in and out while the TC is running to power up / down the TC;
Much the same as a variac but with current not voltage. I know that there
are going to be large forces acting on the core but I think I’ve got a good
plan to deal with it.
	500feet 10AWG on a 2” diameter by 10 inch thin wall tube of cardboard, pvc
or what ever works.
	½ threaded rod 20”long with iron wire bundled around the 10” of the rod
that will slide in & out. Bundled like as if you were holding a fist full of
pencils. This will be the core. There will be a nut and washer on each end
of the bundle. The other 10” of the rod goes through a nut or 2 held in
place on a wood support. A crank handle will be at the end. If the threads
on the rod are course enough I won’t have to do a lot of turning to move the
core in and out of the spool.
What do you all think? Sound like a plan?

Read you later
Josh

Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn-dot-com