RE: Variable Capacitance and Inductance

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Thanks for sharing that Bart.

I think it is interesting, regardless if the most noticeable factor
affecting a change of capacitance in humidity or a gamma ray burst, that the
amount of charge a capacitor can hold can change.  In a large sphere
capacitor, the dielectric is air.  It seems easy to see how barometric
pressure, humidity, and temperature can affect the dielectric in this case.

I assume your "main" cap is your primary cap and that it has either an oil
or mica dielectric?  How would humidity affect the dielectric of your
capacitor such that the capacity would change 6% in two days?  I wonder if
Tesla's salt water capacitors had anything to do with his 50% variation of
capacitance in a building?

As a quick test, I took two .02uF mica capacitors (both rated for 2000V) and
put them in series.  When measuring the capacitance with my BK Precision
875A LCR meter the inductance was exactly .010uF.  I then got out a hair
dryer and applied heat directly to the capacitors for 10 minutes.  The
capacitors got quite hot to the touch, but the capacitance did not budge.
The reading was still .010uF.  I then put the capacitors and meter in my
shower and let the water run continuously for 10 minutes.  The capacitance
still measured .010uF.  For the capacitor I used in this quick experiment, I
saw no effect from temperature or humidity.  I'll try this with other types
of capacitors and see what I get.

Dave