Re: thoriated electrodes

Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <f-h-at-c.dk>

Greg!

I think you can use any sort of tungsten with good results, even
tungsten carbide has been reported to work well, and even show superiour
wear caracteristics.
But you are using 4mm rods at 11 Kw power, right?.
That seems to me to be the real problem.
Beef the electrodes up to 8-10mm, and you will see, that they last much
longer, to the point where the wear is of no consequence.
The debate about which sort of tungsten metal alloy to use is an old
one, and since Bill Wysock and Ed Wingate both swear by them,
(thoriated) it is pretty hard to argue against it. Those 2 guys have
forgotten more than we will ever know!.
But for the average, intermediate coiler, I don`t think it matters much
which variety you use, as long as it is large enough in relation to the
power level you are applying to it.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/tesla.htm

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>