Re: Ground Plane/ Volumetrically Inefficient Secondary?

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

26/05/2002 20:05:25, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way
of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

>My TC is presently grounded via a water-
pipe- there is no ground plane,

unless you are operating your coil
floating freely in deep space then you DO
have a ground plane - it is the thing you
are standing on called 'earth', that is
why it is important to have a good eath
connection. The only time people sometimes
make an artificial ground plane out of a
whole load of AL foil on the ground is
when an ordinary ground is not availiable
eg. at teslathons

 only a
>bolt at the base of the secondary which
serves as the connection to the earth
>lead and the primary return to the spark-
gap and the ignition coil.

>The primary is mounted on terminal blocks
on 1/6" thick plywood board. The
>outermost primary turn -not surprisingly-
has highest RF voltage- it draws
>fierce sparks to any grounded metalwork
within a proximity of about 1/4 inch
>and develops a little corona in operation

probaly doesnt matter

<snip>

>What about the magnetic effect the ground
plane- might  it not be better to use
>a star-shaped ground plane rather than a
solid sheet of metal or foil to
>prevent induced current from flowing in
the ground plane and causing energy
>losses?

yes, if you were going to have a ground
plane, or any other conductive opject in
close proximity to the primary coil it
needs something to stop it being a shorted
turn

>The primary a flat spiral consisting in
its entirety of 11 3/4 turns with a max
>dia 12" (it is tapped at the fifth-and-a
half turn) -given the power from the
>ignition coil is little over 40 Watts at
best, might an alternative winding
>style eg. inverted-cone or helical be
advantageous providing tighter
>primary/secondary coupling

possibly - i cannot say, my first OBIT
(230w) coil had a solenoid primary and
that had arc-over problems - i have never
tried anything as small as 40w

>The web page
(http://www.geocities-dot-com/lemagicien_
2000/tcpage/techtc/tcd.htm)
>has a formula called "Available
Transformer Power per Cubic Inch of
Secondary
>Coil Volume" or AVP, for short. basically
this is the power density of the
>secondary for a given power input. The
author suggests that for best results
>AVP should be in the region of 2.5 Watts/
cubic inch of secondary. The author
>also has formulae for predicting
diameter, aspect ratio and (by simple
>calculation) height, for given input
power, all potentially useful information.

whilst this presents an interesting
approach to a normally guesstimated
variable it is by no means law - other
things will work

>My secondary ( built before I had
knowledge of the above info) is a 3" dia
by
>10 7/8" high, 440-turn winding of 24 SWG
enamelled copper wire.

for such low power 10" is fine, 3" is a
bit fat but not a problem in itself, the
main problem is going to be that you have
relatively few primary turns which is
going going to push the operting frequency
right up (my guess is about 1MHz) which
reduces sparke length, that said it will
still work, my first coil also was of
unuasually high frequency - but i thought
it was great! Now i need MORE power....
must have POWER uughh.... sorry, i forgot
my medication this morning ;~)

>Now calculating AVP for the coil
parameters for my secondary on my computer
>spreadsheet, I have been unsuccesful so
far in finding a transformer power
>where AVP was 2.5 Watts/ cubic inch.

well since your coil has a volume of
(1.5"^2)*pi*10" = 70 CI then that suggests
about 180w transformer power which seems
reasonable enough, however if you were to
make the coil even shorter you would have
to use impractiaclly small wire to get a
decent number of turns in.

 Does this mean that my secondary is
>volumetrically inefficient?

probably - who cares!

 Is there a near-universal formula for
designing a
>good secondary?

No, but there are genaral guidelines, it
should have about 1000 turns (anything
between about 800 and 2000 is ok), its
aspect ratio should be around 5:1 (very
aproximately) and its diameter is based on
the transformer power, 3" is probably good
for about 700w, 4" --> 1500w, 6" --> 3500w
8" -->6Kw+

my advice would be to start by winding a
similar size former with smaller wire
aiming for about 800 - 1000 turns which
will allow you to make better use of the
existing primary coil (it will tune
further out) as well as lowering the
operating frequency of the coil

regards

alex

Alexander JJ Rice
Geek#-1232
Rank : G-2 (Wahey!)
http://www.TheGeekGroup-dot-org
"Because the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth
!"?