RE: Protecting Garage Door Opener

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I don't believe that it is sufficient to just unplug the power cord to a
garage door opener.  The opener case is no doubt tied to the metal
strapping that mounts to the ceiling, so there is some semblance of a
ground on the case.  More importantly, the control wires that go to the
pushbutton and optical safety sensors will then act as a long antenna, with
respect to the grounded chassis.  I broke the connections to the switch and
sensors with a 3-position connector right at the back of the opener
chassis, and I religiously disconnect both that connector and the power AC
cord whenever I fire up the coil.  And for good measure, I also tuck the
little wire whip antenna back into the hole where it exits.  I don't need
to give my wife any more reasons to not like my coiling...

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA