Re: SRSG gap spacing?

In a message dated 5/27/02 3:23:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi all,
>     do people think that the advnatages
> (if any) of having a rotary with a single
> gap by having the motor hot and running it
> via an isolation transformer (2 MOT's
> maybee) would outweigh the potential
> dangers and extra weight of the isolation
> trannie - would the same amount of energy
> still be dissipated in the gap -

Alex,

I don't think you'll see any benefit from using a single
gap rather than the normal two gaps.  After all, when
one goes to 4 or 8 or 12 gaps, it doesn't hurt the
performance.  the number of gaps doesn't seem to
be all that critical.

would it

> just fire before electrode presentation
> anyway?

Yes, it won't help there.

My other daft idea was to have two

> contra rotating discs to massivley reduce
> dwell time. Or is this all just overkill
> and should i stick to a tried and trusted
> 2 stationary, 2 moving design?

Not only is overkill, but quench time depends more on
when the system runs out of energy, than it does on the
mechanical dwell time.  A *too-long* dwell time is bad
though, because it can permit refiring while the electrodes
are aligned, under certain conditions.

Cheers,
John