Re: PTs vs Pigs

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Godfrey, Christopher B.

He found it in a wood crate / "tub" at the infamous Richmond VA
salvage yard...  :^)  Transformer is in VG shape except for what
appears to be a  _very_  slow oil seepage stain on one side.  Will
sand down to bare metal, back fill with epoxy (or JB Weld),
sand, prime and repaint body with epoxy paint.  HV insulators
are 100% intact, no cracks, defects, or arc tracking evident.
BIL on this monster is serious (either 250 or 300kV, somewhere
in this range).

N2, diatomic dry nitrogen gas, to back fill unit to 1 atm. after
filling with transformer oil (under vacuum), to keep air
(and hopefully) corona out...

It is by far the largest PT I've ever personally seen, or had
the "pleasure...  8^P " of moving.  Only negative is 120VAC
input....  Imagine if you had a twin and could run primaries
in series and secondaries in parallel...  a cool 240VAC in;
46kV out at 14kVA _nameplate_  (more like 50kVA short
term bank capacity with oil filled units like this).

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>