RE: 220V transformers on 120V?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-ian-dot-org>

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Tesla list wrote:
> Lemmie guess,
> It's the slob on E-bay who is selling a TON of these and has the "220
> in" voltage in micro print at the bottom of the ad.
> He wasn't selling one of these until he yanked that part and moved it to
> the bottom of the auction page.

Yes, it's the very one.  Let the buyer beware.. I should have read
the fine print and noticed that 220.   I'm not too upset though, as
it's a cheap mistake at $10 and it is still useful to me.  I have
spent far more on things that ended up totally useless.  Heh.

Now I just need to get a handle on transformers.  I have a 555 based
square wave supply I built, but can't seem to get any MOT's or
transistors to switch current.  Square wave looks fine on my scope
off pin 3 of the 555, but no matter what I try I can't get a good
signal out of the transistor to boost the power.  It stays high
with only about a 1 volt drop during the low part of the wave.

Anyone know and scrap metal places in the Boston area where
I could find transformers and other used stuff cheap?

--
Ian