Re: 220V transformers on 120V?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Randy by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<randy-at-gte-dot-net>

> Well, chances are that you've got 220V plumbed into  your home,
> in an easily-configurable way..... your clothes dryer and/or stove/oven
> are probably, one or the other, or both, fitted with plugs. Your water
heater,
> if not powered by fossil fuels <you appear to be somewhere near Boston,
> which I have *no* clue about, I'm in FL> may also be fed with 220V, and,
> if so, may or may not be hard-wired....these options will hopefully give you
> some options as to where to hook up your beast, w/o buying an xfmr to
> boost 110 to 220...
>
> (I'm waiting anxiously for Duck to pipe up and say "yeah, but if you
> took that 1X2 transformer and FED IT with 220.....)
>
> Randy
>
> On Tuesday 28 May 2002 02:45 pm, Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> > <tesla-at-ian-dot-org>
> >
> > I bought a 15kV neon transformer without noticing it
> > was 220V until I opened it up.
> >
> > Can I just get a voltage converter and run it off that?
> >
> > If I give it 120V will I get half the voltage out of it?
> >
> > Thanks, folks.

	If "there are 3 wires coming from the pole" you have a center-tapped
220 volt service.  If worse comes to worse you should be able to tap
into it at the input breaker box.  I had some 220V outlets installed
here to run ham equipment, but that was an extravagence and a little
jury-rigging of wires (done carefully, of course) would be a lot
cheaper.

Ed