Re: New Toroid

Original poster: "Shaun R. Phelps by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <shaun-at-visorloop-dot-com>

Thanks for the advice everyone!  I tried the off-axis inductor but don't
seem to get much of a difference with or without it.  I suspect that the
coil is already somewhat in tune.  I did, however, add another wine-bottle
capacitor and this has added another few inches to the spark.
Unfortunately, I'm still being forced to use a break-out point (little piece
of copper wire from the toroid) to get a spark.  The current length is about
12" - that's certainly better than the 4" or so I had before adding the
extra capacitance.  I'm pretty sure that if I were to add a bit more
capacitance that I could remove that break-out point from the toroid.

On another note, I have a pile of MOT's and a few other NST's - would adding
more current to the input give me a 'hotter' spark?  Unfortunately, a nice
MMC is a bit out of my price range so I will have to stick with the
beer/wine bottle caps for the time being.

Cheers.

Shaun.