Re: Tektronics 545B and other Scopes

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 >Of course, if history holds true, in
 > about 5 years we will be able to get Tek 3000, 5000, 7000 series scopes on
 > E-bay for $50 too :o)))

Don't know about that.  There are still many scopes from 1970-1980's vintage
which still sell for at least $400 on ebay.  And these are
basically only entry level type scopes such as the Tek 764, 765 etc...

   For those that need a nice "new" digital and a
 > nicer price, the new Tek 1000, 2000 series scopes look very nice and are
 > pretty well priced.  Basically the updated and color versions of the very
 > popular TDS200 series in the $1000 to $2000 range.  Maybe the TDS-210's
 > will start showing on E-bay for reasonable prices now.  You do see them
 > there now days, but they still go for about 70% of the new price :-(

Also, not sure of the number, but at work, the idiot manufacturing test guys
purchased these new Tektronix scopes which are basically like the Tek
TDS3000 series except they are basically a pc running Windows Millenium.
These scopes in my opinion are absolute garbage.   They purchased about 5 of
them for about $12000 apiece and we have yet to even use them.  Of course,
they do come with typical nice windows screen savers!!!

All in all, for TC use, a simple old hitachi 15 MHZ, single channel tv
repairman scope is good enough.  These you can get on ebay for under $20.00
i think.

Dan