Re: HV Probe

Hi Matt,

The 6015 probe was originally filled with freon to provide electrical
insulation in the internal divider capacitors.  The probe goes to 40kV with
freon and is rated to 20kV (I think??) without it.  When freon became a
concern, they switched to silicon oil that does not need filling.  The
silicon oil version is what you "want" but they are usually far more
expensive than the older freon versions that sell very cheap.  Once filled,
the freon will last for a very long time like 10 years unless there is a
leak.  You can't fill a freon probe with anything else since it is designed
for the dielectric constant of freon.  So if you have the older probe
without freon you pretty much stuck with using it at lower voltage.

If I had a freon probe without freon, I would try silicon oil anyway just
to see, but it is not supposed to work.

The newer probes also have an improved compensation box at the BNC
connector end.  So the old probes or "ok" but just don't pay much for
them.  There are usually a zillion of them on E-bay at any given time.  If
they have freon included, the price is far higher.

Cheers,

         Terry