Grounded Gas Line Re:3/4, 1/4,or 3/4 copper tubing?...

Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hello all,

The recent discussion on grounded natural gas lines got me to check my
own.  The gas line in my house IS GROUNDED!  It enters the house in the
same location as the water main.  The gas feed to the meter turns to
plastic pipe about 3' down in the ground.  I found this out when Public
Service changed the meter position on the house.  The water pipe is copper
and runs into the local water table once it gets below the footing of the
foundation.  Great grounding when Lake Winnebago is in your backyard.  When
I started coiling, I covered the gas line in the vicinity with chicken wire
grounded to the cold water pipe.  I would not try to have currents of any
kind on the gas pipe.

This grounding of the gas line seems strange.  Anyone?

David E Weiss