Re: tesla coil

>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Mike,

(snip)

What
>you need is an LTR sized capacitor matched to your NST and spark gap.  I
>will guess you have a simple static gap for a first coil.  Here is the
>magic chart:
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/MMCcapSales.gif

I would reccomend the updated chart at http://thegeekgroup-dot-org/mmc/ it also
has all the ordering info, etc :)

>Pick a cap size for static gap LTR at 60Hz to match your NST.  A fellow
>named Chris Boden can then get you the caps you need.  I don't have
>Chris's E-mail address here but we can find him pretty easy for you :-)

info-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org is the one for cap orders

I would like to know what kind of transformer you
>have to help out with further advice?
>

>>The plans call for a pvc pipe with aluminum sheets rolled between plactic
>>sheets with a value of .005 uF  40,000 volts pr cap. Is there any other
>>caps  I can substitute for this labor intensive project ?  If so are they
>>durable ? I would need a good description to purchase them.
>
>Don't mess with that.  Just get nice caps from Chris.  Simple and
>easy.  We string commercial caps together to get the caps we need:
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.htm
>
>>I heard that ac caps do not hold a charge once the electricity is turned
>>off. Any comments ?.
>>I have to make two. Are they wired in series or parallel.?
>
>I don't think you need two caps.  We put a bunch of little resistors
>across the caps to drain the charge safely.  All caps can hold a charge
>after the power is turned off, but adding resistors takes the charge
>safely away.  AC caps "can" hold a charge so the plans are wrong there.
>

>>What relevant information do you need from my tesla coil blueprints so I
>>can construct a  torid ?
>
>A toroid is just a big metal blob at the top of the coil.  Most people
>make them from aluminum coragated heating duct from the hardware
>store.  Check out some of the sites at:
>
>http://j.webring-dot-com/hub?ring=teslaring&id=265&hub
>
>The toroid is not super critical so just something that looks close for a
>first coil will do fine.
>
>Hope this gets you on the right track for what you need.  It is sort of
>complex, but you will catch on fast :-)  Study other people's coils and
>build yours like theirs and it will work fine.  The "first" coil is always
>hard, but once you do it, everything will make sense.
>
>Cheers,
>
>         Terry
>

>>Thanks  Mike Biggs

And as with most of the members of the Tesla List, if there's anything you
want to know, just ask, we're here to help. The more you read here the less
money you'll spend replacing parts and the lower your chances of getting
zapped.

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group