HV Meter

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

I have just acquired (second hand) a 4kV panel meter, which I plan to
incorporate into a test jig for MOT's.

The meter is labelled as being electrostatic:
1) Am I correct in assuming that this means that it's DC only?
2) If (1), would an MO diode and capacitor make adequate rectification for it?
3) Would I be reading peak or RMS with such a half-wave arrangement?  (I
Can't lay my hands on my book from which I normally seek such wisdom ;-)
4) If I were to use a resistor string (voltage divider) to increase my
range, would it be best to go before or after the rectifier, if used?

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith            | Business: http://www.kbc-dot-net.au
IT Consultant            | PGP Key:  http://gpg.mss.cx