RE: Grounded Gas Line Re:3/4, 1/4,or 3/4 copper tubing?...

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

I don't think its much of a problem.  Both my townhouse here, my mothers
house, and my friends house have the houses electrical ground tied to both
the incoming water line and the gas pipe line.  Being in three different
towns and each house is built in a different time period (one is only few
years old, one about 14 years old, and one is about 80 years old) its
definitely not the same electrician doing it and is probably standard
practice.

Dan

Hi Scott,

In clearification on the grounded gas line, it is connected to the
electrical ground which is also connected to the water pipe.  Looking at
this, I think it was done as a lightning protection method.  It was
installed when the house was built.  It could be local code, but I still
don't like the idea of any voltage on that pipe.

David E Weiss