Re: HV Meter

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

 > The meter is labelled as being electrostatic:
 > 1) Am I correct in assuming that this means that it's DC only?
 > 2) If (1), would an MO diode and capacitor make adequate rectification for
 > it?
 >
 > Yes, any typical rectifier configuration should work as long as your
 > components are rated as such.
 >
 > 3) Would I be reading peak or RMS with such a half-wave arrangement?
 >
 > Neither.  I believe half-rectified with large filter capacitor will read :
 >
 > Vout = Vpeak / 3.14
 >
 > For full wave rectification with large filter capacitor will read :
 >
 > Vout = (Vpeak * 2) / 3.14
 >
 > As you can see, it can be very difficult to implement an analog circuit
 > capable of getting
 > true RMS measurements.
 >
 > Basically you need to take the absolute value of the signal, square that
 > signal, and simulatenously integrate
 > that signal over one period.
 >
 > Of course, you could always use just a single diode and capacitor and make a
 > peak detector.  The output voltage
 > of this type of circuit would be the peak voltage - forward diode voltage
 > drop (plus any ripple on there)
 >
 > Dan

1. The DC value of a rectified sine wave is about Vrms * 1.4 (square
root of 2).  If there is no load on the circuit it doesn't matter
whether a half-wave or full-wave rectifier is used.

2. The force-balance electrostatic voltmeters I have used respond to AC
as well as DC; since it's a panel meter I suspect that is what you
have.  I don't know whether they read average or rms voltage in ac
measurements, but wouldn't be surprised if it were the latter.

3. In looking on the web I find that there are other gadgets called
electrostatic voltmeters which uses principles other than the classic
force balance (field mills, for example) and suspect they have peculiar

Ed