Re: Transformerless TC-Excited Capacitive Transformer?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

 > Is it worthwhile to consider using the directly-coupled Transformerless TC
 > to excite a Capacitive Transformer TC.
 > I am thinking of a system where the topload of the "transformerless" part
 > of the circuit is replaced with the influence ring of the subsequent
 > "capacitive transformer" section, as in diagram below.
 >
 >                         (=====)
 >                            L3
 >   +----+---C1---+---L2---) L3 (
 >   |    |        |          L3
 >  PSU   SG       L1         |
 >   |    |        |          |
 >   +----+--------+----------+
 > What are the mathematics of the above circuit- are they basically the same
 > as for the capacitively-coupled Magnifier?
 > would it be possible to connect a transformerless TC to a capacitive
 > transformer using the normal formulae to get an enhanced hybrid of the two?

This circuit would work much as a directly coupled magnifier, with the
important advantage over the basic capacitive transformer system of
faster energy transfer. An exact design is possible, although explicit
formulas would probably be quite complex (I will try to derive them).
A direct cascade can result in good enough behavior, but it's not
obvious how to design the coupling elements L2 and C2.
I have just implemented a numerical synthesis algorithm for this kind
of circuit (this is simple). Element values for use with my available
C1 and L3 can be:
C1=5 nF
L1=65.09 uH
L2=2644 uH
C2=120.1 pF
C3=6.062 pF
L3=28.2 mH
C4=5.771 pF
This circuit would operate with three resonances in the ratio 8:9:10,
with total energy transfer in 4.5 cycles.
Much better than the basic 4th-order capacitive transformer system,
that for the same voltage gain (~20) operates in mode 41:42, with total
energy transfer in 21 cycles.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz