Re: HV Meter

A question about electrostatic meters, having never seen the innards of
one...  Don't they rely on effectively averaging the coulomb force between
two plates, which is linearly proportional to voltage.  True, they measure
AC and DC, basically being an absolute value device, but I would think that
they measure average AC voltage, not RMS.  Where's the squaring function
necessary for RMS measurements coming from, otherwise?