Re: SS Neon power transformer operation

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > Has anyone had experience with the 220V 50 Hz input, 15 kV, 20 kHz 20 mA
 > output solid state neon supplies being offered on eBay for $9.99 each?
 >
 > I know that they are not suitable for TC power work,

would be more easy to rectify DC voltage
from these as the ripple frequency would be much higher and the peak-peak
ripple would be lower as well.  They won't work
for conventional coils though.

 > I can easily rig an autotransformer to get 220 volts for the input.  I
 > suspect that these use a switching type driver that rectifies the input
110
 > Vac line input, and probably wouldn't care much if it was seeing 50 Hz or
 > 60 Hz.  However, I thought I'd ask in case some had an experience blowing
 > one up on 60 Hz power.

power supplies.  Since these supplies are true
switching power supplies, the output voltage is controlled via voltage and
current feedback.  Lowering or increasing the input voltage, the
power supply will still try to maintain a constant output voltage until the
minimum / maximum input voltage threshold is passed which will
probably cause the supply to shutdown if it has internal protection.