Re: pig power control

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/13/02 7:04:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>I need information on controling a pig?   if I was to get my hands on a
>PIG  how would I construct a controller for it?

I use a 240 volt 28 amp Powerstat variac to control the input voltage to my
5 kva transformer.  For ballast, to limit the input current, I use a 50 amp
variac and a 1.2 ohm resistor in series with the input to the
transformer.  Other ballast options are to use the primary of an arc welder
with the secondary leads shorted, or use microwave oven transformers with
the secondary leads shorted, or wind your own ballast inductor or use
series capacitors - which I have not tried.  How many coilers are using
capacitive ballast?  What size and type of capacitors for what current?

Ed Sonderman