Re: Ignatrons for sale

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Jonathon,

As my wife always tells me, "If you don't know what it is, you probably
don't need it..."   :^)

Seriously, an ignitron is a special purpose three terminal vacuum tube -
basically a triggerable mercury vapor rectifier on steroids. The cathode is
actually a pool of mercury sitting in the bottom of the tube (the tube must
be oriented vertically). The anode is usually made of graphite (for high
power rectifiers or medium power pulsed duty switching) or molybdenum (high
energy pulsed power and low duty cycle switching). The third terminal,
called the igniter, is barely immersed in the mercury pool. The ignitor is
pulsed with respect to the cathode, usually via a capacitor discharge
circuit, creating a small arc discharge between the igniter and the
cathode. This puff of mercury vapor from the small arc then "fires" the
ignitron into conduction in a BIG arc between the cathode pool and the anode.

Ignitrons are similar to Silicon Controlled Rectifiers (thyristors) and
thyratrons - once triggered, they continue to conduct until either the
current is reduced to zero or the cathode/anode voltage is reversed,
reverse biasing and turning off the device. Ignitrons are designed to
handle higher voltages and higher currents than most large single SCR's.
Large ignitrons have been built to handle peak currents of hundreds of
thousands of amperes at up to 20 kV.

However, ignitrons are slow. Some pulse-rated ignitrons are constructed
with molybdenum anodes in order to safely withstand higher current pulses
as well as short bursts of reverse conduction (as in an underdamped ringing
LC circuit). Ignitrons can sometimes be found in high power magnet drivers,
electromagnetic metal forming equipment, high power magnetizers, and
industrial pulsed welding equipment. Even large ignitrons are gradually
being replaced by thyristors. The recovery time of ignitrons is too long to
make them of much use as spark gap replacements in a disruptive Tesla Coil.
But pulse-rated ones would work fine in coin and can crushers.  :^)

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman