Re: Ping Tester/ Complementary emitter-follower

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

Antonio,
Are these steps you refer to like crossover distortion on a linear amplifier
or the dead-time (ie. the pause between positive and negative excursions
when the voltage is zero) on a Pulse Width Modulated half- or full-bridge
converter-might it not find application in such a role?
Do you have any oscilloscope pictures available of the waveforms?

How large do the step voltages need to be with regard to the +/-1.2
base-emitter voltage drop -would a 9volt battery be OK or does the voltage
need to be higher than this?

If single-ended emitter follower is used is it OK to substitute BC337/BFY50
for the BC307 you suggested for the output stage?

If complementary emitter-follower were to be employed after Pin 3, what
would be the best transistor types to use?

I am a bit concerned about having an "unlimited" current output on Pin 3 or
subsequent BC337 emitter follower stage because of the risk to the the
tester in the event that it is is accidentally connected to to
short-circuit. To prevent this, would it be possible to replace the real
tank capacitor with a low-voltage capacitor of the same
capacitance -permanently wired in series with the output stage of the
tester- during low voltage tests? Or do you just have to be careful not to
short-circuit the test prods.

Finally, would it be be to use a milliameter -connected between the battery
and the output stage- to give an indication of the rise in current
associated with the commencement of resonance?
Jolyon.