Re: MOT power supply

>I'm tempted to ask tranformer engineer friend how much it would cost to make
>power transformers built to the actual requirements of tesla coil builders
>(large power levels, and ability to take high peak voltages without failing,
>and something not huge and really heavy.)

Ken's raised all the significant points here.  Interestingly, companies
that do make small runs of HV transformers (i.e. Peter Dahl, for example)
will be happy to make you a semi custom transformer.  It will be expensive,
though, compared to a used/reconditioned pole transformer, and cheap
compared to a new pole transformer.  You're paying the difference for the
overhead of a production run of 1 unit.

I'm sure if you were to invest in a production run of 100 transformers, you
could probably get a real nice TC transformer at a real nice per unit
price.  And, you'd probably wind up with a garage/warehouse full of
transformers for many many years.

First off, while there are hundreds of folks on this list (and other
places) building tesla coils,  there probably aren't hundreds willing to
fork out a few hundred bucks for a purpose designed transformer, at least
in any given year.  A lot of us are inveterate scroungers, and would rather
wait a year until that pole transformer shows up surplus for $50.  There's
also the shipping cost aspect.  A purpose built transformer might weigh
over 100 pounds, and that ain't cheap to ship.  The shipping cost for used
pole transformers is often more than the cost of the transformer.

Finally, I'll bet you couldn't get consensus on what characteristics this
ultimate TC transformer should have.  Should it be 10 kVA or 5 kVA? Should
it put out 10 kV, 15 kV, or 20 kV?... with NSTs, MOTs, and pole
transformers, you sort of are forced into designs that make use of what you
got... they only come in certain configurations (typically, arrived at over
many decades of market forces...I'll bet the first Neon Sign transformers
were a lot more customized, and a lot more expensive, than the standardized
9,12,15 kV units at 10,15,30, 60 mA we get now.. Note that the voltages we
get (9,12,15, 14.4 kV) are nice round number turn ratios... 75:1, 100:1,
125:1, 120:1, etc... I don't think anybody optimized these things for
performance.. no, they just said, what turns ratios should we use and
picked some regular sequence.

I don't know.. I might be wrong. Maybe there's an untapped market niche
here.. Maybe somebody has a few tens of thousands of dollars sitting around
to invest? People have certainly invested in more speculative ventures.