Re: DC? was: mechanical bridge rectifier

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Josh,

You're mixing apples & oranges.

 > Good evening folks
 > Recently I asked about rectifying AC on the low side
 > of the mane
 > transformer in a TC.
 > The answers from the list were a resounding NO it
 > can’t be dun.  So then if

Correct. An iron-core power transformer must have AC
(or at least chopped/pulsed DC) current for
transformer action to happen.

 > DC is bad for transformer action why is it ok for HV
 > TC work? The TC (pri

The purpose of the HV supply current­ in a TC is to
charge up the tank capacitor. This capacitor can be
charged up with either AC or DC--it doesn't matter
which, so long as this supply current charges the tank
cap up to the breakdown potential of the spark gap.

When the spark gap fires, the tank cap dumps it's load
in a mighty "BANG!" and together with the primary coil
forms a parallel resonant circuit (a dampt-wave
oscillator) which converts the HV supply current into
radio frequency current in the 10's-100's of kilohertz
range. So the TC DOES require AC current for
transformer action, but it creates it's own AC! See:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/basics.htm

 > sec) is just a transformer.
 > Why is DC bad for one kind of transformer and not
 > for another?
 >
 > And- hey thanks for the Mechanical rectifier
 > replies! As I am into super
 > cool looking things I may try one out. I was
 > imagining a supped up spark
 > gap used as the SRSG and the rectifier at the same
 > time. It would be on an

Constructive observation: your question was on very
basic, fundamental electrical principles. Not that I'm
complaining--I like basic questions because they are
the only ones I can answer! All I'm saying is a HV
mechanical rectifier is pretty advanced hardware for a
hobby-level coiler. Before you attempt something this
complex, it might be a good idea to master the
fundamentals, maybe build a very simple coil & get it
working, read a starter book on AC & DC circuits, etc.

 > 1800-rpm motor with 12 electrodes. 4 for the SRSG
 > and 8 for the rectifier.
 > I don’t really think it will offer much in the way
 > of performance but it
 > will sure be fun. And that’s the point.
 >
 > Read you all later
 > Josh