Re: IGBT people... I need help please ...

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>
>
>Hi Scot,
>
>Just two things.
>
>1. The IR2112/0/3, etc. has been and is a top selling IC for IGBT drive.
>I recommend it.
>2. The UC3860 is a sucker! I think it's even obsolete: better so. It was
>difficult to get it to work and weird to get anything from it. I haven't
>yet had time to replace it, but I think next time for a H-bridge drive
>I'll go discrete. This for a series of reasons I can list on demand (if
>someone bothers to ask).
>
>Best Regards
SNIPPERZ...

hi All again...

thanks for the input ...   after snagging the latest copy of DIGI-KEY from
work and 1/2 hour later I found they have the   IR2111 ( half bridge driver
for IGBT's ) and a PWM controller chip ( darn near does everything except
solder itself to the board)

at last   I can really get started on the power supply....

heres a bit of info on it ...

variable voltage ( AC rectified via 600V 300A full wave bridge) actually Im
rectifying the low volt side of my power  cabinet that supplies voltage to
the BIGPIG coil....

filter cap(s) consist of 80   yup  80  350VDC 15,000uF Cornell Dublier
in series/parallel for  700VDC and some ungodly high amount of uF   ( if
the math is right    .06 FARADS )  WARNING   do not touch both terminals at
the same time  ;)

the "current controller"  will be the 4 IGBTs ( 1200V  40A  units ) set up
with the associated controller and drivers ( each of the IGBT's are a bit
larger than a pack of cigarettes   the heat sink they came on is
huge    15"X15"X6"

altho the components are a bit on the overkill side ....   at least it
should hold up to the plans I have of running an Argon laser  (  needs
260VDC at 30A )   Im hoping to be able to also run another laser at 360VDC
50A... but thats a later project to deal with ....

next plan ....    rectifying 36KV .5A for a CO2 laser and for a DC Coil

time will tell ....

thanks again ...   and thanks Marco for having such a detailed website (
from which I snagged some wonderful ideas)

Scot D