Re: Tesla Coil Tricks

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <DanReind-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/20/02 5:14:33 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hi!
>I didn't know, that it is possible to make "blowing corona off the fingers"
>with the van de graaf.

Yes.  Stand on an insulated platform (as you would to have your hair stand
on end).  You'll find that when you tuck your arms in and hunch over, you
build up a higher voltage.  If you stick your arm our and point a finger,
you will hear a buzzing noise and will blow what feels like a cold wind off
in that direction.  As you do so your hair will fall down again, so just
clench your fist and back up it goes.  I would suspect you could see a bit
of dim purple if you did this in the dark.  What is scary is that my father
has experienced the same buzzing scenario, but while stuck on a glacier
with a lightning storm about to hit.  That's when you know it's time to do
your impression of a pancake :) (or as I understand it, kneel down with
your feet together, to minimize the potential difference across your body
during any near misses).

>Im goaing to build a VDG, so I would like to make it enough powerful to do
>such experiment.
>Could You tell me something about Your's VDG construction? Where can I find
>good papers,
>which can help me building VDG?

Bill Beatty has an *awesome* page for this sort of
thing.  http://www.amasci-dot-com/emotor/vdg.html

My VDG uses a 1/3 HP motor for power, a cylindrical nylon tube for the
bottom roller, a 3" wide green "theraband" (an elastic sheet used for
physiotherapy) for the belt and a PVC tube for the top roller.  Important
addition is using PVC electrical tape to give the top roller a "barrel"
shape which keeps the roller on the tracks.  Collector consists of two
salad bowls, with the rims cut off and many layers of electrical tape
around the joint to suppress corona.  Wire combs are from screen door
material.  Works so well, I brought it to my wedding!  It was quite a hit,
I highly recommend such attractions to any nuptially minded gear head.

Cheers,

Dan Reinders