Re: Streamer direction vs BPS

Original poster: "Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Ted, John, all,

 > Several kHz is well above anything I've tried.  The highest
 > breakrate
 > I've used is around 950 bps.  Generally the sparks get a
 > little brighter
 > at the higher breakrates from 400 to 950 bps or so, due to the
 > fast
 > refresh rate.  It's interesting that your sparks are becoming
 > dimmer
 > at the very high breakrates you're using.  I wonder how much
 > the cap
 > voltage is sagging (if it is), at those high break rates?

Though I have absolutely no mathimatical or theoretical proof to back
it up, I attribute this to Ted's use of a many turn secondary. I too
have had great success up to 1000 BPS - but I used low turn counts on
the secondary, and a short aspect ratio. I still have a theory that
many turn secondaries are better for low BPS sync gaps, but async
gaps work better with secondaries that have low aspect ratios and
under 1000 turns. Why? I don't really know. It's what I've observed
on real operating coils, but I can't really explain why it should
work this way.

Cheers,

Greg.