Re: Stumped at first light

Hi Josh,

Like the others have said, the primary turns should be increased. For 30mA
transformer, I would stick to a .01uF to .02uF (10 to 20 nF). For something
along this line, build a 12 turn primary (assumed flat) with your same
spacing and tube size (both 0.25"). This will get you in the ball park from
around 10nF and up allowing you the ability to tune in different cap sizes
(whatever you decide on). I'm not keen on the resonant size of 66nF. The
time to charge the cap to transformer voltage is 132ms. Quite long. With a
10nF cap, the charge time is down to a comfortable 20ms.

If it was me, I would go with a 20nF, 4" x 16" topload (breakout point),
and 12 turn primary (tapped about 8.6 turns [~237kHz loaded indoors]).

Take care,
Bart