Re: tesla coil grounding

Hi George,
            I take it from your description that the coil is
effectively being run in CW mode. An energy transfer is indeed taking
place - but it's a continuous one from primary to secondary unlike a
cap discharge system which gives the energy exchange waveforms you
seem to be expecting. Connecting the scope directly to the secondary
is not a good idea, either from low-powered measurement or high-
powered scope survival points of view. In the former case, the
scope's probe capacitance and shunt resistance will throw the
measurement results off by a country mile for a small machine.

Regards,
Malcolm

On 26 Nov 2002, at 21:14, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "george hadle by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ckreol1-at-yahoo-dot-com>