Re: Objections to Steel Wire?

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

Hi all,

it might be remembered, that skin effect is not only depending on
resistivity of the conducting material, but as well on permeability. A
useful formula for skin depth is:

Skin depth d  = SQRT ( 2 * Rho / (Omega * mueo * muer))

d = skin depth in [mm]
Rho =  specific resistivity [ohm*mm*mm / m ]
Omega[1/s]  = 2*pi* f [Hz]
mueo = 1.2566E-6 [H/m] permeability of the vacuum
muer =  relative permeability of  conductor [-]

For most conductors the relative permeability is close to one. Not so
for iron. This means, 'cause muer is in the denominator, it tends to
decrease skin depth (the higher Rho of iron tends to compensate in part
for that). I wouldn't use iron as a coil wire, not only because of high
resistivity, but as well because of high relative permeability.

Kurt

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>