Re: Wire-wound resistors as dummy test load

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/1/02 1:57:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> confused by the large amount of series
> resistance.  I'd use a better meter.
>
> Also, for his application (steady-state) load, I wouldn't worry about the
> inductance.
>
> Dan

Hi Dan, All,

       If this were the only application for which I ever might use a WW
resistor, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either. But if this is not an
anomaly peculiar to these 4 units, awareness of such variations might be
significant to other applications. If a meter were being "confused" by four
almost identical resistors, then shouldn't I get four wrong answers of
approximately the same size, perhaps with disagreement between meters, not
100%+ variation on the same meter?
       Since I already have 1) an AADE L/C Meter Model II/B, 2) a Phillips PM
6303 RLC Meter, 3) a Boonton 71A VTLC Meter and soon a General Radio 1633A
inductance bridge, what should the a priori recommendation "I'd use a better
meter," suggest to me that I do next?

Matt D.