RE: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown - OFFICIAL RULES and WEBSITE

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

hosting the event anymore.
The original intent of this entire informal contest was NOT to be a contest
of who can build a better
coil using a better type of method / configuration, but who could build the
most efficient coil using only conventional elements.

Why don't you let people use their imagination?

little contest was supposed to be just a very, very small informal event
amoung about 3-4 people originally to be held at a local tesla event next
year.  Someone suggested I should extend this event to "the group" as others
may be interested as well.  Now I am getting all this whining and
complaining and am sorry i even suggested this event to "the group" at all
now.

If people get better
sparks using rectified/voltage multipliers or magnifier systems, this
will indicate that these methods are better, not only for TTTCs, but
possibly for the rest of us with bigger coils.

purpose, not who has the better method.

Why not simply set the
voltage/current requirements of the initial power supply and see what
people can do. This whole idea is getting silly. Why not let people
try using a small tank cap with high BPS or a large tank cap with low
BPS, and so on. Otherwise it comes down purely to losses in the
primary/secondary circuits which those of us with more money are able
to minimise because they can afford low loss coilforms etc. I want to
see people's ingenuity win this competition. Let's just see who can
do what with a 4kV, 20mA transformer, using their crazy ideas.

capacitor, primary and secondary.  Nothing less, nothing more.  Using only
these building blocks, build a damn coil that outperforms the rest. The
winner is clearly the one with the most understanding of this configuration
and of all the losses etc...

organize your own contest.

My two bucks!
Dan