Brushes (Re: Variac Troubles -Oops!)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Daniel Hess by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dhess1-at-us.ibm-dot-com>

> I bought a Variac once that was missing the brush altogether. I went to my
> local auto parts store and bought a pair of brushes for a generator. (Can
> you believe they still sell these items?) Alternator brushes will probably
> work but they tend to be smaller so there's less material to work with. A
> little cutting, a little filing and viola! I was back in business.

	Also: check the local HW store, the part where they have lots
	of flat drawers, with all sorts of nuts, bolts & screws.

	Usually, two or three drawers will be given over to Lots Of
	Different Brushes.  I've nver tried to match a variac
	brush from there, but its worth a try...

>>Be careful with the brush - its probably quite delicate, and
>>will break easily. AFAIK they are quite hard to find. Make sure that ALL
>>metal / carbon dust is removed from between the windings - you dont want
>> any shorts.

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...