Re: How and where to begin?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/4/02 9:39:22 AM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> But how and where could I start to make my own Tesla coil system? Do I
>  need some special knowledge or electrotechnical education? Is it
>  "lawful" to construct such equipment?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Seppo Janhonen
>  Finland

Hi Seppo,

Welcome to a great hobby.
I suggest you look at the excellent material available from the Tesla
archives where you will find past letters and pictures from coilers covering
a wide range of topics. Also, aim your browser towards the Tesla Ring.  John
Couture has some excellent introductory handbooks. John posts to the list
frequently, he will be glad to help you get his books.  :-))
Read all you can on electrical theory.

Start out simple with a small coil. IMHO, using the various computer programs
to design your coil will detract from your learning
and understanding. Learn the theory and build your coil from scratch. You
will learn
from your errors and the cost is an educational expense. There are some
expert coilers in Finland who post to the list; you may want to contact them.

There are some illegal things you can do with a Tesla coil like attaching an
antenna to it, but I am unaware of any laws preventing their construction.

Tesla coils are extremely dangerous. Think safety at all times as your first
mistake could be your last.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman