Re: New Twin Transformerless Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

> An afterthought:-
> with L1C1 tank impedance twice what it should be the system will be out of
> tune. Presumably performance will be reduced accordingly, but would bad
> tuning affect the "symmetry" of the outputs too
> -with one terminal running at higher voltage than the other?
> So far my system seems determinedly asymmetric-
> the influence ring at the base of directly-coupled resonator L2' really
> hobbles performance  and there is less voltage rise on this branch than on
> the capacitive transformer side.

The output should be symmetrical if the two resonators have the same
impedance.
It's even easy to tune the system at low power by exploiting this.
First tune one of the resonators to have identical, opposite,
output voltages (measured with nearby antennas), and then tune the
primary circuit to have notches. The same technique can be applied
to tune conventional twin Tesla coils.
Verify again the proposed structure, redrawn to illustrate better
the required symmetry below:
The two influence rings are interconnected and connected to the
top of L1. They are positioned at the same position in L2 and L2'.
L2 and L2' are positioned at the same height and have similar
connections.
The height of the rings is adjusted so they capture half of the
terminal capacitance.
To obtain sparks between the terminals a and b, I suggest a pair
of wires ending in small loops, connected to the terminals.

                           L2          L2'
   PSU    gap     L1   +---+     +-----+

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz